Wednesday, August 3, 2011

God's Modus Operandi

The Myth
God accomplishes His will primarily through miracles and direct intervention.

The Reality
Let me establish right off the bat that I believe in miracles. Unfortunately, I think a lot of Christians put way too much emphasis on miracles and experiences, when there are a lot more important things that require our attention.
Jesus said, "A wicked and morally unfaithful generation craves a sign." (Matt 16:4) That's not to say that we shouldn't want to see God in action, but He is not some sort of entertainer that performs endlessly for our pleasure.

I was discussing this with my brother-in-law, and he said something to the effect of this: God rarely does things through direct intervention when He can use a person to do it on His behalf.
I think that sums it up nicely. For me personally, most of the stuff I've seen God do has been the result of people applying His Word and following His lead.

Why It Matters
As I said, this is not to discount the fact that God does perform miracles, but rather than expecting God to intervene directly all the time, we should appreciate miracles and interventions for what they are, and recognize that the primary means of God's will being done is through His disciples. Therefore, we should make sure we're doing our best to BE God's actions, rather than waiting around for a sign. God would much rather see us obey His commands than applaud His performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment